New York Fashion Week – nine massive style red letter days. So we’ve come up with nine reasons why you should be looking forward to it. As if you weren’t already…
1. Star Wars – Maybe there’s some truth in this and maybe there
isn’t, but the internet is already ablaze building this up as a
Hollywood meets Fashion smack down. (Now respected designer) Victoria
plans to show her fledgling VB label on the same day that
paparazzi magnet and former friend to Posh Katie Holmes has chosen to
debut her Holmes and Yang line. Since the times aren’t confirmed yet
there’s every chance big editors could make both, but it’s so much more
fun to see this as the ultimate A-list battle for attention.
Katie Holmes and Victoria Beckham
2. The Purple
party - Every New York Fashion Week the fancy Parisian magazine takes over the top floor of one of the city’s most glamorous hotels for a night of debauchery and excitement where boring industry protocol is checked in at the door. Watch this space as one insider will be reporting on all the party antics of fashion’s elite for farfetch.com.
3. Marc Jacobs
’ shows – after his weird but wonderful Mad Hatter extravaganza last time around, how much wackier can the super designer go?
Marc Jacobs at the end of last Fashion Show Season
4. Front Row Friends – Seeing the front row of a fashion show is always exciting, especially when whoever has been doing the seating chart gets a bit creative and you get the visual treat of icy Anna Wintour looking coldly bemused at a cartoonish Nicki Minaj. Please let the seating gods be good to us this NYFW – for instance Snooki, her newborn and the glacial Princess Charlene.
Nicki Minaj and Anna Wintour at last New York Fashion Week
5. Camera Shy – Since he made his return to womenswear Tom Ford has gone all coy on the paps and editors who used to worship at his altar. Invitations to his shows are rare, and photographic evidence rarer still. For his S/S 12 presentation Ford vetoed all photographers bar Terry Richardson, and for A/W 12 he did away with it completely in favour of a carefully crafted video showcasing the pieces that was sent out afterwards. What scheme he’s devised for S/S 13’s presentation is anyone’s guess…
6. Joseph Altuzarra’s show – can the rising star top his past couple of seasons?
A model jokes around backstage at the Altuzarra show A/W 12
7. Uptown Boy? – In his first few seasons as one of America’s brightest young design talents Alexander Wang
perfected sporty, down-town cool. But over the past year or so Wang has been slowly edging his way uptown, with collections heavy on custom-developed fabrics and chic tweed suits. Will S/S 13 see him head further in that direction or stick to his laid-back roots?
8. Movie Buffs - Which piece of cinematic history will culture-vultures the Mulleavy sisters to choose to channel in their latest Rodarte collection? Because you know we’ll all be ordering it on Amazon straight away…
Two recent Rodarte inspirations, Days of Heaven and Disney's Sleeping Beauty
9. Proenza Schouler
’s newest collection – like we need a reason!
Proenza Schouler A/W 12